Sunday, April 1, 2012

Oh For the Love of Gluten .....

Hello. I am Sherri Murray, middle aged, married, a mother of three and person who truly believes that your health and happiness can be changed one bite at a time.  I say this from personal experience, but yet I struggle keeping up with the concept. I am searching for the key to making all of this work. This thing we call Life is busy for us all, and mine is no exception. In addition, with my husband’s help, I cook every meal for my family, work full time, and I have recently had thought of writing a Gluten-Free cook book.

My love affair with cooking all began when I was about 4 years old, when my grandmother sat me on the countertop to help cook anything from donuts, hermits or soda biscuits.  From there I started baking cookies at age 8.  Since then I cooked for my family in a very traditional manner. Including pasta dinners, homes style meals, and deserts. As time went by and life got busier, we turned to fast food, boxed processed foods, and grab and go snacks.

After the birth of my daughter in 2004, I just never really felt ‘right.”  Honestly, I could not figure out what it was.  When talking with people including my primary care, they would say things like “you just had a baby” of course you are tired. Or the dreaded comments about being overweight and the need to diet.

In 2006 I met a holistic doctor who told me I should no longer eat gluten.  After the shock wore off I was happy to know that I was not crazy. Yes, finally a person who validated there really was something not right with me!  Excited to start I went home and read labels, and cleared out my “toxic” food list.  When I was done I had one empty ice box, along with several bare cupboards.  That is when reality hit me. I needed a plan and did not really know where to begin.  By this time my diet was fast foods, processed food and, sadly, I could not recall what a vegetable was.

Honestly I can say this was the best thing that ever happened to me and for my family. It has forced me to not rely on picking up a box to eat, or going to a drive thru.  But instead I had to slow down, eat real food and focus on gluten free. Now real food is my life but life’s routine doesn’t always allow real food!  This is where the gluten-free struggle begins.

Slowly I mastered the dinner menu, then lunches. But breakfast was the hardest, as I had a love of bagels, muffin tops and cereal.  By eating whole food and not eating the gluten, my body began the process of healing and my symptoms began to dissipate. I no longer suffered from swelling, aches and pains, lethargy, foggy mind, or migraines. I no longer suffer from signs of depression and no longer have the need to know where every bathroom is located. All of that was exhausting!

And yet, knowing this and feeling better I have not found the key within me to stay on track and that is what has led me to starting this blog.  Whatever journey you are on, struggles you my have , working on eating more real food and less processed, finding your health, eating gluten-free or dairy-free or just supporting someone else on their journey, please join this community to not only find the information and support you need, but as a place to share.  For me, I want to share my struggles and successes and, at the same time, educate, swap recipes, restaurant tips/menus.

No comments:

Post a Comment